Monday, February 18, 2008

Family Day

I am nearly alone in my cold, drafty house. I have hymns playing in the background and the sound of the little electric heater instead of our furnace keeping time. I have an endless supply of hot drinks at hand and a scarf around my neck with multiple layers down to my wee little toe. Pieman is out with the kidlets borrowing a large heater. Today is of course a holiday and the oil company won't come fill up our tank with its defective gauge until tomorrow. Too bad all that wood we have is sopping wet and buried under snow and ice. At least we have electricity. And with an oven that heats we have had soup, lots of cookies, granola, and whatever else takes a long time to cook. I'm about to make bread. My nose is cold.




Still, we have passed the halfway-to-March mark. Spring will come. I found two pots of daffodil and tulip bulbs in the basement still with dirt from last winter's splurge into colour when I was also cold. They were actually starting to grow so I took them out of the dark corner and into the light. Hope!

And despite the cold, there is great beauty. I'll leave you with a glimpse. These are some of my favourite early morning shots.











No comments: