Monday, October 19, 2009

I was born and raised Mennonite Brethren. Although I no longer have a membership in such a church I still consider myself to be MB. At times I forget how important it is to me. Then I read a book by Margaret Epp and am reminded. Easter approaches and I make paska and am reminded. I catch sight of a tub of dry cottage cheese, think of vareneki and am reminded. Hear my mother singing in harmony with her sisters and am reminded.

Amidst all the stories I hold and memories I treasure I realize one thing: food seems to play such a huge part in the MB tradition! Here is a blog I love. Many of the recipes here I recognize, some are newer than those in my Mennonite Treasury cookbook or my We Are Our Mother family cookbook. The beauty behind the food though is something deeper, a desire for relationships. The beautiful gift of hospitality and welcome. A sharing of our selves with each other and even strangers. That is why I sometimes weep when I come across recipes and the stories that go with them. They bring memories of people I have known, times when my life has been influenced and enriched by those with whom I have been privileged to share a moment. Of course my family is central to many of those memories. I am Mennonite Brethren.


.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are enjoying that blog! Kinda makes me wish I was Mennonite. My relatives were German(dad's side), but they were Lutherans. I understand the hospitality thing though...hmmm, now I feel like baking...
Becky

los cinco nomads said...

I know what you mean, Becky. I tend to have one of two reactions when I read this site. Either I get inspired to bake and have company, or I get teary and lonely that my family is so far away. The first is more fun but the second gets more phone calls in.