Tuesday, December 21, 2010

We saw the moon!

The moon was so bright before bed that we all trooped outside to be in the moonlight as though day. Even as we stood there chatting, the clouds blew in across the sky; not a flutter of wind at ground level but lots way up high. We looked at each other in dismay* as we wondered whether it would clear before the lunar eclipse at 2am. Not much we could do so we set our alarms and went to bed.

It was cloudy at 2am. The sky orange at first but then darkening to a smudgy charcoal grey and finally nearly black. But no moon. We checked all the webcams from the NASA website and although we did see the moon for a while most of the sites went offline from heavy traffic. And anyway, it just wasn't satisfying watching it on a screen. It didn't seem real. I had already been out to see the smudge in real life so when I glanced out the window hopefully, again, and saw a star I flew to get my coat and boots on. The boys had all gone to bed so it was just BTG and I who nipped outside and saw the moon! God cleared a little patch for us near the time of totality just enough to see the moon dark and red with a bright ring around its edge. It only lasted about five minutes--maybe ten but it was enough!

I had to share it. I saw the moon.


*fun to actually write that line!

2 comments:

Sandpiper said...

How neat that you got to see it! It was cloudy here. I was probably awake with Baby at the time. Weird to think that it hadn't happened on the winter solstice since the 1500's.
B.

los cinco nomads said...

What was even better, Sandpiper, was that as I left the computer after blogging this I realized that the whole sky had cleared and I got to just sit and stare at the moon and the stars for another half hour before falling asleep. I loved it!