Monday, May 23, 2011

Charlotte Mason was a real person


I'm looking forward to a wonderful education conference in just a few weeks on Charlotte Mason and her way of seeing life. I love how the atmosphere of the conference makes it a vibrant learning time for anyone involved in education, whether homeschoolers, teachers, or parents. The more I read in Charlotte's 'pink books'* of her thoughts and ways, the more I see that she lived in real life and understood how things work and yet was able to also see the ideal way to bring out the best in life. There may be a 100-year gap from her time to mine but the truths are timeless.

As the Childlight USA conference planners at Gardner Webb University gear up for the 7th annual Charlotte Mason Education Conference in North Carolina the blog has been rich with thoughts on Charlotte Mason and the way she has impacted the authors' educational philosophies and their lives. I just thought you might be interested in reading some of the blog entries.


*Pink covers on the reprinted 6-volume set of Charlotte Mason's writings. The original look so much nicer but they are of course more difficult to find. I've only seen one copy on someone else's bookshelf (I tried not to drool on it.) Most people read the pink ones or the free online version and I believe there may be some newer-covered versions and there's even a Kindle version.

1 comment:

Sandpiper said...

I have the 'pink' ones! Interesting that she was so wise & yet never actually had her own children. It sounds like a wonderful conference.