Monday, May 31, 2010

I have been looking after my little vegetable plot this past week carefully but not as anxiously as in past years. Funny. The garden is actually looking better this year--starting to look less wild.

And tonight the rain has come.

We have had little rain these past two weeks and while that's great for suntans it's not so good for the seeds. I have watered when needed, filling my buckets in the shower and letting them sit in the sun to warm before pouring the precious liquid carefully over the plants. Without rain to replenish it the rain barrel was emptied. I have watched with mixed feelings as the forecast has said first rain today, then sun today and rain tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Mixed feelings because I prefer the sun.

My plants have drooped and I have watched the skies. If the prophets are right I will be watching the skies much this summer and I might even be successful in growing a good pepper crop if it stays hot for long enough. And hope the rain barrels stay full.

I feel somewhat like a farmer: anxious and hopeful all at once. I'm not sure how a farmer is supposed to feel. Am I a farmer? I till my soil, dig out the weeds, care for the plants, harvest my produce. Sounds farmer-ish but I would not truly claim that hard-working word. Gardener sounds more like me. And a gardener who throws seeds at the garden and shrugs that what comes up comes up after spending all winter planning. Is it worth the work? Isn't it easier to go to the store or even the farmer's market? I pondered this as I picked kale this morning. My kale that was extravagant last summer and not only survived the winter but came through tasting sweet. People said this was so--although they were talking about the taste after the first frosts, not months of snow later. But I didn't believe it.

Have you ever tasted new lettuce or tomatoes still warm from the sun? There is a great deal of satisfaction in eating a stew filled with vegetables you can claim as your own, that you've known from seed.

Come on over. I'll share.


.

2 comments:

Sandpiper said...

I'd love to come! Mmmm...the thought of a fresh tomato and of course a visit with you!
B

los cinco nomads said...

You are welcome anytime of course...Wouldn't it be fun to have our wee ones (and not so little) together?