Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My garden dreams

The first of the tomato seedlings are up! They were planted March 15. I just finished planting the last of the others to be started indoors so we'll see what comes up next.

A non comprehensive list of my garden plans:

tomatoes--a few varieties (Ok, 7. I'll be making salsa and sauce. The cherry kinds are for snacking during the summer.)
peppers--hot, sweet and paprika (who knew you could grow paprika?)
winter squash--red kuri, delicata, butternut
pumpkins--pie and giant
melons--watermelon and muskmelon
cucumbers--English type and for pickling
onions--red and yellow
gourds--ornamental, birdhouse and luffa (which has never worked for me but I still have seeds so will give it another try)
celeriac (also called celery root)
brussel sprouts
and a variety of flowers including Maltese Cross, purple millet, nicotiana, feverfew
summer savoury

To be planted outside when the snow melts and the ground warms up:

peas--shell and snap
lettuce--a variety of kinds
more flowers, including cosmos, zinnias, scarlet flax, chrysanthemum, calendula, sunflowers, runner beans
dry beans--goose gullet, blue jay, cranberry
carrots--our soil is too compact for these so we're trying the little round Parisienne ones
cauliflower
potatoes
kohlrabi if there's room but I got tired of those last year

I think I'm forgetting some things.
Ask me how I like my garden during weeding and harvest time!

No comments: