Monday, February 27, 2006

The computer works

An hour or two and $50 later we have a renewed computer. This is just to let you know. I'll try to post some pictures of camp life this weekend. Our bridge crew is moving right along and it's looking great.

The kids had an art and Spanish tutor for 2 mornings this week. "Mommy, this is so much more fun than regular school!" Today reality hit when we had to try to catch up on 2 days missed work, but we all survived. Tomorrow they get a special science class from the volunteer environmental science worker here. She's trying to work out a curriculum that is very close to the ideal way I want to teach science. It's a great partnership. She gets 3 willing guinea pigs for her projects and my kids get some fabulous teaching. She also makes great brownies and comes for coffee every day.

I'm reading a number of books right now: Mujercitas by Louisa May Alcott, Grace Abounding by John Bunyon, Nice Girls Don't Change the World by Lynne Hybels (a fast read--try to find it), A Guide to Tropical Plants of Costa Rica by some scientist and a host of school literature like Pilgrim's Progress, Shakespeare, Story of the World, etc. Waiting in the wings are Las Aventuras de Tom Sawyer, El Patito Feo y Otros Cuentos, Frankenstein, two others whose titles have escaped me by the same English author, a book on climbing, one on reading a compass and map and a couple of other rereads I want to get back to. Bronwyn received a history book called Our Island Story for her birthday in January and had it read within a week or two. The rest of us are waiting for our chance to start it. But first we have a book on pirates to finish and Farmer Boy and ..... I'm not sure we'll get to the history book before Keanan starts to read! And then there are those 18 hours a week of letter writing to fit in....

We have enjoyed beautiful papaya today and the sweetest pineapple the other day intermingled with bananas that taste nothing like those at home and mangoes...oh my! As I sit here I look at my windowsill full of gorgeously red tomatoes that are just coming ripe. We had the whitest head of cauliflower you've ever seen for supper last night and I can't wait to get at the avocado in my fridge. Yum-my! Come join us!

No comments: